This information on poisonous plants is from a leaflet published by the Utah Poison Control Center (UPCC). The UPCC is a 24-hour resource for poison information, clinical toxicology consultation, and poison prevention education. The UPCC is a program of the University of Utah, College of Pharmacy. It is staffed 24 hours a day with registered pharmacists, nurses, and physicians with additional training in clinical toxicology. The UPCC is a Certified Regional Poison Control Center and is nationally recognized by the American Association of Poison Control Centers.
Do You Know About Your Plants?
House plants are a common cause of poisoning in children. If you do not know the name of a plant, have it identified at a garden control center near you or check the website of the poison control center in your area.
The following poisonous plants are the most frequently encountered by the UPCC and considered toxic. They may be dangerous. The list of poisonous plants is not necessarily comprehensive. If you do not find a suspect plant on the list, please call or write the poison control center in your area.
Jimson Weed (Thorn Apple)
Lantana Camara (Red Sage)
Lily of the Valley
Poison Ivy & Oak
Snow on the Mountain
Star of Bethlehem
Western Whorled Milkweed
Please Use Caution:
- Never eat any part of an unknown plant or mushroom. Teach children never to put leaves, stems, bark, seeds, or berries in their mouths.
- Keep poisonous house plants out of reach of young children. Store bulbs and seeds out of sight and out of reach.
- Learn to identify the poisonous plants in your yard and neighborhood. The poison control center cannot identify a plant from a telephone conversation.
- Do not assume a plant is safe because birds or other animals eat it.
- Do not rely on cooking to destroy poisons in plants. Be cautious when using plants in nature as a medicine or tea. Undesirable effects may occur.
- Any plant may cause reaction to certain people
- If a plant is eaten, remove the rest of the plant from the mouth. Rinse the mouth with water. Call the poison control center at 1-800-222-1222, or your family doctor immediately.
Proper caution should be taken when dealing with plants. Any plant can be considered poisonous if someone is allergic to them.